An Anniversary

February 23, 2008
Today is my anniversary; not one of years, but of another kind. More about that later.

I was born in Japan in 1986 and sent on a ship to America with others who hoped to be adopted. We were all housed together. We had a big yard and a room of glass that we could look out in all directions. People often came and looked us over.

I was barely a year old when I was adopted by a family from Pennsylvania. I was sitting there looking at the sky trying to show off when they came. It was love at first sight. We went out to play; we ran up and down nearby hills. They wanted me!There were lots of papers to be signed, but that day was the best day of my life. I had a family of my own.

Life was great. I had my own room. The lady of the house would give me her undivided attention everyday. She made sure I had the right nutriments to give me energy, special creams to keep my skin shiny, and she gave me lots of baths. We had such fun together.

There was a change in the family and I stayed with the lady. People told her it was a big mistake to keep me, but she made everything work out. The lady took me on long road trips. On special nights when the stars came out we would find a dark spot on a hill and watch the stars. Mostly we went to school together. She would get me up every week day and we would run down to the school. She would go over the days agenda or sometimes we would sing along with the radio. In the evenings we would run home together. She would tell me how frustrated she was about the paperwork and how she loved working with the kids.

Years past and the lady, her dog and I still hung out together. I was with the lady when she met her significant other. They use to take me along to concerts at Hartwood Acres and over time we moved to a new place. I got a really fancy new silver blanket.

More years past and I moved south. I have a place of my own in Texas and I spent a lot of time alone there. It is good time, though, because I have so many fond memories of places I have been.

My family surprises me. One year they brought me to a wildlife refuge with them for the winter. I saw lots of birds and animals. I was almost killed by rats that winter! I love spending time with my two favorite people. They take me with them north to Pittsburgh to visit with family and friends.

This year they took me on a road trip to Big Bend in southwest Texas. That’s where my big day came. It was in the national park and I turned 200,000 miles. Not bad for a Toyota MR2!

Comments

mary said…
what a lovely story.. I was careful not to read ahead so I could keep guessing "who " it was..

Mary
Unknown said…
Not me - I jumped right to the end!

Popular posts from this blog

Houston Fest Galax, VA

Pandemic

Hospital Stay to Camping Out